Apple Fitness + is now available to Apple Watch users with 180 workouts in 10 different categories. While the service is available on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, there are some differences between launching it depending on the device you’re using. Let’s take an in-depth look at how to use Apple Fitness +.
Apple Fitness + will automatically appear in the Fitness app (renamed from Activity app) on iPhone after updating to iOS 14.3. However, on the iPad, you have to manually download the Fitness app. At launch, some iPad users had issues with the training service. But the problem seems to have been resolved for most.
Be sure to check out my colleague Jeff Benjamin’s full iOS 14.3 video walkthrough, including a closer look at Fitness +.
How to use Apple Fitness +
Apple Watch requirement
Apple Watch Series 3 or later is required for Apple Fitness +. However, after you complete the initial setup for the service, you can do Fitness + workouts without the wearable on iPhone and iPad. For now, you need your Apple Watch for training on Apple TV.
This is the prompt you will get if your iPhone or iPad cannot find your Apple Watch:
How to Get Apple Fitness + on Your Apple Devices
iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple TV
- Fitness + is automatically included in the Fitness app on iPhone and Workout app on Apple Watch after you update to iOS 14.3 and watchOS 7.2.
- The Fitness app will appear on your Apple TV home screen after updating to tvOS 14.3
Sign up for Apple Fitness +
- Open the Fitness app
- Tap the Fitness + tab at the bottom
- Tap “Continue” and choose whether to share Fitness + data with Apple
- Choose a subscription / free trial now
- If you are an Apple One Premier subscriber you will be taken directly to the Fitness + home screen without having to choose a subscription as it is included
- The length of your free trial period depends on whether you recently purchased an Apple product
- Learn about free trials for Best Buy customers, UHC customers, Life Time fitness club members, and if you recently purchased an Apple device here
- Make sure you have iPadOS 14.3 installed on your iPad
- Download the Fitness app here (or search for Fitness in the App Store)
- Launch the app and follow the instructions to sign in if you haven’t already done so on iPhone or Apple TV
- You will notice that for the iPad Fitness app it is only Fitness + (no Summary or Share tabs)
- On tvOS 14.3, you’ll see the new Fitness app appear on your home screen
- Open the app and you will be guided through the installation process, including the ‘Try It Free’ prompt to sign up
- Choose the annual or monthly plan that starts after your free trial ($ 9.99 / month or $ 79.99 / year in the US)
- Like iPad, the Apple TV Fitness app only includes Fitness + (no Summary or Share sections)
This is what it looks like on Apple TV:
Start an Apple Fitness + workout
- Now that you’re up and running with Fitness +, it’s easy to start a workout
- Make sure to wear your Apple Watch for the best experience
- Go to the Fitness app and the Fitness + tab on the iPhone (only the Fitness app on iPad or Apple TV) and choose a workout
- You can use the categories at the top of the app and even choose ‘Filter’ in the top right corner to search by trainer, time and music
- Once you’ve selected a workout, tap ‘Let’s Go’ (you can also preview workouts to get a 30 second look)
- Now you can press the play button on your iPhone / iPad / Apple TV or start the workout from your watch as well, which should also have a big green play button
End an Apple Fitness + workout
- Workouts will automatically end if you stick to them to the end
- If you need to end a workout before it’s over, tap your screen, tap the X in the corner and choose ‘End Workout’ now
Share an Apple Fitness + workout
At the end of your workout, you can share your performance with others if they view it on an Apple device (tap the green up arrow with square icon). Otherwise, users on desktop, Android and other devices will only see a preview of the Apple Fitness + workout you completed without your achievements.
Don’t forget to do a cool down workout to take care of your body.
You can also listen to the workout soundtrack on Apple Music by tapping “Listen in Music” at the bottom of each workout.
Another useful feature is adding workouts to the “My Workouts” section. Look for the ‘+ Add’ button just above ‘Let’s Go’. You can find your saved workouts at the bottom of the Fitness + tab on the iPhone and Fitness app on iPad and Apple TV.
There is no leaderboard for Apple Fitness +, but there is one leaderboard-like / competitive component: the optional Burn Bar. Here’s how Apple describes it:
The Burn Bar shows your effort in comparison to others who have done the workout. If the Burn Bar is enabled, your data will be part of it anonymously. This training will not be sent.
You get to see your Burn Bar both during workouts and at the end. After completing one of your first workouts, you will be given the option to keep the Burn Bar on or off.
Check out more 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use automatic affiliate links that generate income. Lake.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: