Home Affairs Department David Bernhardt tested positive for COVID-19 after days of meeting with political officials, a department spokesperson confirmed The Washington Post Wednesday.
Domestic spokesman Nicholas Goodwin told the Post in an email that Bernhardt, 51, received the diagnosis ahead of a scheduled cabinet meeting with President TrumpDonald Trump Top Trump Assistant Derek Lyons Leaves White House This Month Judge Rules Trump Org Must Hand Over Documents to NY AG as Part of Probe Long-time GOP Strategist Steve Schmidt Announces Registering Democrat MORE Wednesday, which Bernhardt did not attend after his positive test.
“He is currently asymptomatic and will continue to work in quarantine for the American people,” Goodwin added.
The spokesperson also said the secretary “follows all CDC guidelines and consults with medical professionals as necessary,” and that “Home Office will continue to follow all CDC guidelines (ie, identifying close contacts, cleaning work areas, etc.) with regard to the secretary. positive test result. “
The Post reported that Bernhardt has spent the past two days meeting with a number of Trump officials and also revealed a portrait for the former secretary Ryan ZinkeRyan Keith ZinkeBarr dating Trump ‘love letter’ OVERNIGHT ENERGY: McEachin signals interest in Biden administration role | Haaland, looking for Home Affairs, stresses the need for Indian representation | Haaland’s lenders are asking Udall to step aside in a bid for Domestic Mail. GOP lawmakers are pushing MORE back on the Federal Reserve’s climate risk efforts last week. Others at that meeting included Sens. John BarrassoJohn Anthony BarrassoMcConnell Urges GOP Senators Not to Object to Electoral College Vote Trump Administration Restricts Habitat Protection for Endangered Species Top GOP Senators Recognize Biden President-Elect after Voting Electoral College MORE (R-Wyo.), Steve DainesSteven (Steve) David DainesThe Memo: High Stakes For Trump In Georgia Vaccine Rollout Palin Campaigns For Loeffler, Perdue On The Money: COVID-19 Relief Grows As McConnell, Pelosi Talks | Slow job growth raises fears of a double dip recession | Biden officially announces Brian Deese as top economic advisor MORE (R-Mont.) And Kevin CramerKevin John Cramer GOP Hopes To Escape Trump Confrontation The Memo: Trump Casts Long Shadow Over 2024 The Hill’s 12:30 Report – Presented By Capital One – Pressure Is Building As UK Approves COVID-19 Vaccine MORE (RN.D.).
Two individuals who spoke with the Post on condition of anonymity to openly discuss internal discussions said Home Office officials had been informed that a holiday party scheduled for Thursday has been canceled due to Bernhardt’s diagnosis.
According to the Post, Bernhardt is at least the third top Secretary of the Interior to test positive for COVID-19 since November, after Daniel Jorjani after serving as an election observer in Pennsylvania and Aurelia Skipwith, the director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Bernhardt’s positive test arrives the same day at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has canceled his holiday party after Secretary of State Mike PompeoMike PompeoOvernight Defense: Military Reports Second Death on Active Duty from COVID-19 | Pentagon, State Department Among Agencies Affected by Hillicon Valley Cyber Attack: Facebook Ad Block Lifted Over Georgia Runoffs | More industries get into massive cyber attack | Krebs to Testify on Pentagon, State Department Election Security Among Hacked Agencies: Report MORE was forced to quarantine after being exposed to someone with the virus.
The party’s guest list included 180 foreign ambassadors, heads of missions and their husbands, the Post reported.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had confirmed this Pompeo was quarantined after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. He had tested negative but was “closely monitored by the department’s medical team,” the spokesman said.