Andre HIill shooting: Forensic pathologist rules Andre Hill’s death was murder caused by multiple gunshot wounds

Hill was shot once in the chest and three times in the right leg, according to Dr. Elaine Amoresano, the forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy.

Adam Coy, the former officer, shot and killed Hill, a 47-year-old black man, on December 22 within seconds of their meeting. Hill was unarmed and approached Coy with a lit cell phone in his left hand.

Coy was charged in February on a charge of murder in committing a felony, violent assault and two counts of dereliction of duty – one based on Coy not using his body camera and one based on his failure to inform his fellow officer that he felt Andre Hill was a danger, ”Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost said.
The autopsy is because the United States continues to consider its history and current systemic issues of race. The country is coming off a year of protests calling for police reform after the deaths of black people like George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Rayshard Brooks by law enforcement.

The officer was fired in December

Coy responded to a phone call around 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 22 to messages from a man who had been in his SUV for a long time and turned his engine on and off repeatedly.

Coy started shooting within seconds of seeing Hill and turned his camera on after the shot. However, the camera’s Review feature captured 60 seconds of video, without audio, before Coy turned it on.

The camera images of the body seem to show that Coy and Hill are walking towards each other. It’s not clear if Hill or Coy said anything during their brief interaction.

In the first few seconds of Coy’s body camera video with audio available, Coy ordered Hill to raise his hands to the side, ordered him to lie down on his stomach, and warned an officer not to get close because one of Hill’s arms was under the car. where he collapsed.

About 37 seconds after the shooting, Coy asked if a medic would come.

A report prepared by Columbus Police Chief after the shooting said an officer who responded with Coy said she heard Coy say he saw a gun, and Coy yelled, “There’s a gun in his other hand, there’s a gun. in his other hand! “
As a result of the shooting, Coy was fired in December. Columbus Police Chief Thomas Quinlan, who resigned in January, said in a December statement that the evidence against Coy was a “solid reason” for the termination.